Friday, June 15, 2012

Chalk Paint Adventure

Cooking is not my forte.  Mr. Dump and I spend most of our evenings trying to decide whose turn it is to pick something up on the way home from work.  We had a slight incident with a hot pan and olive oil last winter that led to this priceless photo... (Thanks, Drew!  You are better than the average PhotoShop expert!)


I'll spare you the details.  Anyway, someone that doesn't cook has no real need for recipes.  That is... until you want to tackle a DIY chalk paint extravaganza. 

I've seen information on several blogs about making your own chalk paint.  I'm too cheap to pay for the real deal, so I thought that I would give it a try.  Most of the recipes recommended using unsanded grout, Plaster of Paris, or Calcium Carbonate (whatever that is!) mixed with a latex paint.  I decided to use the unsanded grout because I knew that it would be easy to find at my local home improvement store.  I mixed a tablespoon with latex paint and went to town.  Again, no real measuring going on here.



I wanted to try it on a table that I found at an estate sale.  Nothing too fancy here... Just classic and simple.


Before I started painting, I sanded the table to fix some of the imperfections.  I was tempted to stain the top, but I couldn't get the wood to cooperate.


I was a little lazy with the painting step (come on people, it's my second day of summer vacation!  I deserve to be a little lazy) and loaded the paint into my sprayer instead of brushing it on.  This caused it to be really gritty.


I used a piece of sandpaper to sand the entire piece which helped get rid of the bumps and added some beautiful distressing.  I wish that I had taken a better "after" picture, but you'll have to use your imaginations.  Does anyone have any suggestions for my next DIY chalk paint experience?  I love the feel of the final product, but I'm not sure that it was worth it...


Happy Junkin'!

Sarah

12 comments:

  1. See I am not convinced that the homemade stuff is the way to go, it doesnt seem to have the same texture as chalk paint or milk paint have. I also love the fact i can dilute my paint to my liking. But then again i have never tried to make my own, so what do i really know?

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. TWO POSTS IN ONE WEEK???? WHA???? This is insane! I can barely keep up with Summer Sarah! I love that you tried your own chalk paint when everyone who knows us is SURE that we can't boil water. (I'm not commenting on whether that rumor is true.) The table looks great, but the picture of Mr. Dump is my FAVORITE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen people take old guilded frames and cut out luan (thin plywood) and cover that with chalk paint, insert in to freshly painted frame and hung in kitchen/craft/mud room/kids room for a "to do", "kids chores", "grocery list", "weekly menu"... The list could go on. Also have seen people paint the chalkboard on the panel inserts to kitchen pantry doors (new or old), armoire, or old pie cupboard, etc. (I'm shocked you didn't clog your paint sprayer with this mix- live your blog)
    -From Zion Crossroads Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what Summer Sarah means...my hubby likes Summer Nancy much better, too! Only now, I get to be Summer Nancy year round. If Summer Sarah is so much happier than Fall, Winter, and Spring Sarah, seriously consider a career change. Although 30 years went by in a hurry, I'm now 52 instead of 32 or 42. Summer Sarah needs to flourish in all seasons! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations, Nancy!!! I am so happy for you! The next time I'm in Virginia, we'll have to celebrate! Thank you for your great advice!

      Delete
  5. Is this a console table??? Mike and I need one! Let me know if you have it at the Sleepy Poet! Hope you are enjoying your summer! XX
    -Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Laura! This piece is at the Sleepy Poet! I'm not sure if it is what you are looking for, but it is super simple and super cute! I can't wait to see your new house! (hint, hint!) :-)

      Delete
  6. Hi! I have made my own 'chalk' paint using Plaster of Paris. The first thing to do is dissolve the additive (plaster, grout, etc) in a bit of water, stirring it well, and getting rid of the lumps. You can then add it to your paint. Great blogging! LindaC

    ReplyDelete